Saints of the Shadow Bible (A Rebus Novel #19) (Paperback)
Other Books in Series
This is book number 19 in the A Rebus Novel series.
- #1: Knots and Crosses: An Inspector Rebus Novel (Inspector Rebus Novels #1) (Paperback): $17.99
- #2: Hide and Seek: An Inspector Rebus Novel (Inspector Rebus Novels #2) (Paperback): $17.99
- #3: Tooth and Nail: An Inspector Rebus Novel (Inspector Rebus Novels #3) (Paperback): Email or call for price.
- #4: Strip Jack: An Inspector Rebus Novel (Inspector Rebus Novels #4) (Paperback): $19.99
- #5: The Black Book: An Inspector Rebus Novel (Inspector Rebus Novels #5) (Paperback): $18.99
- #7: Let It Bleed: An Inspector Rebus Novel (Inspector Rebus Novels #7) (Paperback): $18.99
- #10: Even Dogs in the Wild (A Rebus Novel #10) (Paperback): $15.99
- #11: Rather Be the Devil (A Rebus Novel #11) (Paperback): $15.99
- #13: Resurrection Men (A Rebus Novel #13) (Paperback): $19.99
- #14: A Question of Blood: An Inspector Rebus Novel (A Rebus Novel #14) (Paperback): $19.99
- #15: Fleshmarket Alley (A Rebus Novel #15) (Paperback): $19.99
- #16: The Naming of the Dead (A Rebus Novel #16) (Paperback): Email or call for price.
- #17: Exit Music (A Rebus Novel #17) (Paperback): $19.99
- #18: Standing in Another Man's Grave (A Rebus Novel #18) (Hardcover): Email or call for price.
- #22: In a House of Lies (A Rebus Novel #22) (Paperback): $16.99
John Rebus, the
Edinburgh police inspector who languished in retirement but never in our
imaginations, has returned to the force. Rebus
is being investigated, along with his old team, for dirty police work in a thirty-year-old case.
Planting evidence, intimidating witnesses, and imparting rough justice
was part of the culture of policing in that era. As Rebus says, "I'm from the eighties, Peter---I'm not the newfangled touchy-feely model."
True to character, though, Rebus wants the truth, no matter what
light it shines on his own deeds. At the same time, he's working on a
case with Siobhan Clarke, his former protégé, involving
a mysterious car accident and a high-ranking politician's
son. Now that's just the kind of hornet's nest that Rebus likes to poke a
stick into. Both tangled plots are resolved masterfully. Good
to have you back, Rebus.
Rebus is back on the force, albeit with a demotion and a chip on his shoulder. He is investigating a car accident when news arrives that a case from 30 years ago is being reopened. Rebus's team from those days is suspected of helping a murderer escape justice to further their own ends.
Malcolm Fox, in what will be his last case as an internal affairs cop, is tasked with finding out the truth. Past and present are about to collide in shocking and murderous fashion. What does Rebus have to hide? And whose side is he really on? His colleagues back then called themselves "The Saints," and swore a bond on something called the Shadow Bible. But times have changed and the crimes of the past may not stay hidden much longer -- and may also play a role in the present, as Scotland gears up for a referendum on independence.
Allegiances are being formed, enemies made, and huge questions asked. Who are the saints and who the sinners? And can the one ever become the other?
About the Author
PRAISE FOR STANDING IN ANOTHER MAN'S GRAVE:
"Rankin bangs out a rich, rowdy prose...Rebus has become one of the great modern cops, a kind of Scottish cousin to Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch."—Patrick Anderson, Washington Post
PRAISE FOR SAINTS OF THE SHADOW BIBLE
"Longtime fans of the series will savor every nuance in the subtle interplay between characters here, but Rankin doesn't forget the thriller plot, either, corkscrewing the narrative into a surprising and satisfying conclusion. Hats off to a writer who can keep a long-running series fresh by upsetting our expectations and rummaging ever deeper into the rag-and-bone shop of his characters' hearts."—Booklist
"Ian Rankin issuch a practiced and successful writer...If anything, he is at the top of his game, and Saints of the Shadow Bible is one of the best novels he has produced."—BookReporter